Friday, February 22, 2008

The worst sound I've ever heard

It's easy for us to remember a horrible taste or an absolutely repugnant smell. It's easy to remember the worst thing we've ever tasted, smelled or seen. However...have you ever thought about the worst sound you've ever heard? I have, and here it is:

The day my dad died, we had a funeral (memorial) service on a sailboat. We took his ashes out in the Bay and scattered them there. As we were leaning over the edge of the boat, the most horrible sound I've ever heard came out of my stepmother's throat. It was as if pain had a sound, something like a guttural, animal-like noise. She was obviously in grief, but it wasn't the simple sound that someone makes when they're crying. Instead, it was pure pain and hurt coming out of her throat. If I had to pick one sound to never hear again, that would be it.

No comments: